Servings: 6 Chill 1 hr Cook 5 mins
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (see Note below)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 cups cooked black beans, prepared according to package directions
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions OR: chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice OR: lemon juice
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin and oregano; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the corn. Increase the heat to medium-high; cook for 2 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup water; cover and cook for 2 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl. Stir in the salt. Cool to room temperature.
2. Bring a medium-size saucepan of lightly salted water to boiling. Add the peas; cook for 3 to 5 minutes for fresh, or 2 minutes for the frozen. Drain the peas in a colander; rinse under cold water. Add the peas, black beans, tomato, green onion and cilantro to the corn mixture in the bowl.
3. Whisk together mustard, pepper and lime juice in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the remaining olive oil. Pour over salad; toss well to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Serve cold.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 304, Fat, total (g): 15, chol. (mg): , carb. (g): 40, pro. (g): 13, sodium (mg): 972, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.