- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups weekend-prepped barley
- 1 cup weekend-prepped root vegetables
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
- 4 eggs
1. Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Crumble when cool. Discard all but 1 tsp. of fat from the skillet. Reserve.
2. In a large bowl combine the vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, and salt. Add the barley, roasted vegetables, bacon, and pecans. Toss to combine.
3. Crack the eggs into the reserved skillet. Cook until the whites are cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve one egg atop each salad. Weekend-Prepped Barley
4. Cook 9 oz. regular pearled barley according to package directions. Drain and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Weekend-Prepped Root Vegetables
5. Cut 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, and 1 sweet potato into 1/2-inch chunks and spread on a baking sheet. Toss veggies with 2 tsp olive oil and 1/8 tsp. salt.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 441, Fat, total (g): 23, chol. (mg): 196, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 46, Monounsaturated fat (g): 13, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 4, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 7, sugar (g): 6, pro. (g): 14, vit. A (IU): 6126, vit. C (mg): 5, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 54, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 585, Potassium (mg): 452, calcium (mg): 68, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.