1. Heat oven to 375 degrees .
2. Vertically slice each potato into 1/4-inch slices, about 1/4 inch from the bottom. Place on a baking sheet; gently press garlic between slices. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and season with 1/2 tsp of the salt and the pepper.
3. Roast at 375 degrees for 65 minutes or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small skillet. Add shallots and cook, stirring, 6 to 8 minutes or until crispy.
5. To serve, season with remaining salt and spoon shallots over potatoes.