Servings: 4 Prep 25 mins Bake 425°F 35 mins
- 3 beets (about 1 pound with leaves trimmed), halved
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 bunch kale (about 1 pound), tough stems removed and sliced in 1/4-inch strips
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced ricotta salata or crumbled feta cheese
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss beets in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/8 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Seal beets inside a large piece of aluminum foil. Place foil-wrapped beets on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 35 minutes or until knife-tender. Allow to cool a bit, then remove skins with a paper towel or gloves. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, shallot, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Slowly whisk in remaining 1/3 cup olive oil.
3. Toss kale with half the dressing. Arrange on a platter with beets, beans and apple. Scatter cheese on top and drizzle with remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 484, Fat, total (g): 30, chol. (mg): 17, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 45, fiber (g): 9, pro. (g): 13, sodium (mg): 727, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.