1. Heat oven to 450 degrees . Place a rack in a large roasting pan.
2. Place chicken in prepared roasting pan. Gently lift up breast skin and place lemon, garlic and herbs under skin. Rub softened butter over outside of chicken and season with salt and pepper, inside cavity and out. Tie legs with cotton twine.
3. Roast at 450 degrees for 30 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and roast for an additional 45 minutes or until internal temperature in thigh reaches 170 degrees . Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest while preparing gravy.
4. Gravy: Remove rack from roasting pan and skim off fat. Pour out drippings, reserving 1/4 cup. Place roasting pan with reserved drippings over medium heat and whisk in flour. Cook for 1 minute; gradually whisk in broth and wine; stir in thyme. Simmer, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes until slightly thickened. Strain if necessary.
5. Carve chicken and serve with gravy.