- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup chopped assorted colored sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked regular brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen shrimp in shells, thawed, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 12 ounces tilapia fillets, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
1. Coat a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray; add peppers, onion, and garlic and set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl combine the broth, rice, thyme, crushed red pepper, and turmeric. Microwave on 100% power (high) for 4 minutes or until just boiling. Pour over vegetables in cooker.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours. Stir in shrimp, tilapia, and peas. Cover; cook 45 minutes more, stirring once. Remove cooker from liner; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes (fish should flake, shrimp should be opaque, and rice should be tender). Makes 6 servings.
Tip Stovetop Method:
For Easy Cleanup:
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add sweet peppers, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir for 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in crushed red pepper, turmeric and rice. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and thyme; bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add shrimp, tilapia, and peas. Cover and cook for 10 minutes more or until rice is tender, shrimp are opaque, and fish flakes. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 269, Fat, total (g): 3, chol. (mg): 115, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 31, Monounsaturated fat (g): 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 3, pro. (g): 29, vit. A (IU): 194, vit. C (mg): 21, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 40, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 2, sodium (mg): 205, Potassium (mg): 456, calcium (mg): 61, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.