- 16 8-inch round rice papers
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup pea pods, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1/2 of a medium cucumber, peeled and cut into 3-inch matchsticks
1. Place warm water in a shallow dish. Working with one at a time, dip rice paper into the warm water and let it soften 30 seconds. Carefully remove it from the water, allowing excess water to drip off. Lay softened rice paper flat on a clean work surface.
2. Place 1 tablespoon each lettuce, pea pods, radishes, and rice and a few cucumber strips on the bottom center of the wrap. To roll, fold the bottom of the rice paper up over the filling ingredients. Then, fold the left and right sides over and gently but tightly roll the wrap upwards until all of the rice wrapper is around the filling.
3. Serve with dipping sauce. Store chilled up to 24 hours. Do not stack as the rice wrappers can stick together.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in bowl and whisk vigorously. Serve with spring rolls in individual small dipping saucers.
Tip Working with Kids:
- Have an 'old-fashioned' lemon squeezer dish available and let kids take turns twisting and turning to squeeze out the juice
- Let the kids measure very thing, but do oversee the process. The older students like to be the readers of the recipe.
- Make a double recipe and have the kids do the math.
- Older students can mince herbs, or instead use the cuisinart.
- Use a small to medium whisk and deep bowl with straight sides. Have kids sit and whisk till their heart is content!
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 16; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 65, Fat, total (g): , chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 14, Monounsaturated fat (g): , Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 1, sugar (g): 1, pro. (g): 2, vit. A (IU): 296, vit. C (mg): 3, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): , Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 14, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 181, Potassium (mg): 41, calcium (mg): 7, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.