Yield: 12 scones Prep 15 mins Bake 400°F 20 mins Stand 10 mins
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine. Add butter. Pulse 10 to 12 times or until mixture resembles fresh bread crumbs. (The butter can also be cut into flour using a pastry blender or your fingertips.)
3. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Add 1 cup buttermilk, stirring quickly to combine. If mixture is too dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together and is slightly stringy and crumbly. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 6 to 7 times (do not knead more than that or scones will become tough).
4. Divide dough in half. With floured hands, press each half into 9 x 4-inch rectangle. With a short side facing you, fold into thirds like a business letter. Press each portion into a 6- to 7- inch circle; place on ungreased baking sheet. Cut each circle into 6 equal wedges; pull wedges slightly apart. Brush tops with remaining buttermilk. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Bake in 400 degrees oven for 20 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned. Remove and serve warm. Makes 12 scones.
Variation Ham and Sage Scones:
Cheddar Cheese Scones:
- Add 4 ounces cubed boiled ham and 1 teaspoon dried sage along with butter. Pulse 10 to 12 times until ham pieces are no larger than grains of rice. Instead of pressing dough into circles, press each half into 7-1/2-inch square. Cut each into 8 squares. Makes 16 scones.
Rosemary and Black Olive Scones:
- Add 4 ounces cubed Cheddar and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper along with butter. Process 10 to 12 times until cheese pieces are no larger than dried peas. After brushing tops with butter milk, sprinkle with sesame seeds, using about 2 teaspoons total. Makes 12 scones.
- After dividing dough in half, scatter 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary and 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (about 10 olives) over each batch of dough before it is folded into thirds. Makes 12 scones.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 190, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 21, carb. (g): 24, pro. (g): 4, sodium (mg): 411, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.