1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat eight 4-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray then dust with flour; set aside.
2. Cakes. Cover half of dates with 1/2 cup very hot water; soak for 5 minutes, Drain dates, reserving liquid. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. Pulse remaining dates and brown sugar in a food processor until blended. Add reserved hot water, eggs, vanilla and butter to food processor and pulse until blended. Add to softened dates.
4. Stir flour mixture into date mixture. Divide batter among ramekins, a scant 1/2 cup in each. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers tests clean. Remove to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around ramekin edges and remove cakes.Toffee Sauce
5. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in sugar, then stir in heavy cream; simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm. Drizzle cakes with sauce and serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.