Servings: 12 Prep 15 mins Chill 1 hr Bake 350°F 1 hr
- 1 (1 pound) challah or other egg bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Butterscotch dessert sauce (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place half the bread into prepared dish. Top with bananas and 1/2 cup walnuts, then remaining half of bread pieces.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Gradually add light brown sugar until combined. Whisk in half-and-half, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over bread; press bread down gently to absorb liquid. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove dish from refrigerator and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and granulated sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until top is browned. Let cool 15 minutes. Drizzle each serving with butterscotch sauce, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 453, Fat, total (g): 21, chol. (mg): 175, sat. fat (g): 10, carb. (g): 53, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 318, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.