- Olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3/4 cup cooked yellow rice
- 1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup bagged herb bread stuffing (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
1. In a very large skillet heat 2 tsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, ground beef, onion, garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring to break up the meat, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.
2. In the same skillet, heat 2 tsp. olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, walnuts, and pine nuts. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the celery mixture, rice, seasoned breadcrumbs, hard-boiled egg, cranberries, and raisins to the meat mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add the herb bread stuffing, melted butter, chicken broth, and pepper, to taste. Mix again. Transfer to a greased 3-quart baking dish. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top layer is slightly brown, about 15 minutes. Mix thoroughly.
- If you cook some of the stuffing in the turkey, be sure stuffing reaches and internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Before serving, combine it with the stuffing cooked in the baking dishes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 242, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 50, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 17, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 15, vit. A (IU): 106, vit. C (mg): 2, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 19, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 457, Potassium (mg): 231, calcium (mg): 32, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.