Impress friends and family with this eye-catching dessert recipe that layers pound cake, fruit, and marshmallows. Top with a yummy passion fruit curd for extra pizzazz.
1. Combine egg yolks, sugar, passion fruit pulp, butter and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring constantly, or until mixture thickens and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
2. Transfer mixture to a medium-size bowl set over an ice bath (a larger bowl filled with ice and cold water). Stir with a wooden spoon until chilled.
3. Fold whipped topping into chilled curd. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to assemble.Assembly:
4. Cut mango into 3/4-inch chunks. Cut 1 kiwi in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut remaining kiwis into 1/2-inch chunks. Cut pineapple into 1/2-inch-thick slices, then cut slices into 3/4-inch chunks.
5. Drain mandarin oranges. Set aside about 14 pieces of the nicest looking oranges and pineapple and all of the kiwi slices. Toss remaining mango, kiwi chunks, oranges and pineapple with 1 cup coconut to blend (makes about 6 cups).
6. Cut cake into 1/2-inch-thick slices (14 total). Using a 1-1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut a semicircle from the bottom edge of each cake slice. Cut remaining pound cake scraps into 3/4-inch pieces.
7. Spread 1 cup of the fruit mixture in an even layer on the bottom of trifle dish. Arrange a row of the reserved kiwi slices, cut-edge down, along bottom, pressed against the side of dish. Add reserved pieces of pineapple in between each kiwi slice and mandarin oranges on top of kiwi. Set aside 1 cup of the fruit mixture; spread remaining fruit into the serving dish. Spread level.
8. Sprinkle 2 cups of the mini marshmallows in an even layer on top of fruit, making sure they reach the side of the dish. Place raspberries in a single layer along outer edge of dish. Add any leftover berries to the reserved fruit.
9. Place the semicircles of pound cake on top of raspberries, straight-side down, pressing against the side of the dish. Add the cubed pound cake scraps to help support the semicircles. Press down slightly so top is level.
10. Spread passion fruit curd evenly over cake layer. Mound remaining chopped fruit on top and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon mini marshmallows. Garnish with coconut. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.