1. Combine sugar, cornstarch, lime zest and cloves in a medium-size saucepan. Add 2 cups of the strawberries, reserving remainder for garnishing.
2. Mash the strawberries in the saucepan with a potato masher. Bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Cover the saucepan with plastic wrap and cool to lukewarm.
3. Meanwhile, prepare pound cake. Slice cake diagonally in half, cutting from top long edge down to opposite long edge, to form two wedges of cake. Stand cakes, with shortest sides as base, long sides facing together, to form a pyramidlike shape. Cut each cake wedge vertically in half along the length of cake.
4. Spread about 2-1/2 tablespoons of the strawberry mixture between each upright layer of cake; sandwich layers together. Place cake on serving plate. Place waxed-paper strips under edges of cake.
5. Beat heavy cream in small bowl until stiff. Add remaining strawberry filling, about 1/4 cup, and beat until well mixed. Frost cake with strawberry-cream mixture. Carefully remove waxed-paper strips. (Cake can be made up to 6 hours ahead, covered and refrigerated.) Garnish with strawberries and mint. Makes 16 servings.