A brandy syrup, brushed over the spiced apple cake while still warm, seeps into the interior to flavor every crumb of this dessert.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.Cake:
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into medium-size bowl.
3. Beat together butter and sugar in second medium-size bowl on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and applesauce; mixture may look curdled. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture, beating until well blended. Gently fold in apple pieces. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing top.
4. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for about 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean.Syrup:
5. Meanwhile, heat together sugar, apple juice and brandy in small saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves; do not boil. Remove from heat.
6. Remove cake from oven. Leave cake in pan; place pan on wire rack. Brush top of cake with half the brandy syrup. Let stand 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack and remove pan; place rack over jelly-roll pan. Brush cake with remaining syrup; let cool completely.Glaze:
7. Mix sugar, juice and nutmeg in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Let harden slightly.