Servings: 9 Prep 30 mins Cook 1 hr 10 mins
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 2 ribs celery, cut into chunks
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 whole chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), rinsed, all skin removed
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, rinsed, hard core removed, cabbage cut into 1-inch-wide strips (about 8 cups)
- 2 large carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 large ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound Pad Thai or broad rice noodles (see Note)
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed and dried
Make It Broth:
1. In large pot, combine chicken broth, carrot, onion, celery, ginger and chicken. Bring to a boil. Partially cover; reduce heat to medium; simmer for 1 hour.
2. Strain liquid through sieve into large pot; reserve. Set chicken aside; discard other solids. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat, discarding bones. Shred meat. Soup:
3. Bring broth to a simmer. Add cabbage, carrots and celery; simmer for 4 minutes.
4. Add the noodles; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until noodles are cooked, stirring occasionally.
5. Add reserved chicken, the water chestnuts, soy sauce, hoisin and cilantro; simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Makes 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 9; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 319, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 85, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 22, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 32, sodium (mg): 1761, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.