- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 15 ounce package stale potato bread rolls*, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large leeks (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), dark greens trimmed, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 12 ounces sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a 3-quart baking dish with 1 Tbs. melted butter. Toss the potato bread with 3 Tbs. melted butter on two large sheet pans pans and toast until lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Add leeks, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are very tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer leeks to a plate.
3. . Add the sausage to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes.
4. In a very large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cream, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Add cooled bread cubes, leeks, and cooled sausage, toss gently; set aside 5 minutes to allow the bread to absorb most of the liquid. Toss mixture again; spread in the prepared baking dish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F until slightly puffed and golden, about 40 minutes. Serve warm.
- Cook leeks up to 3 days ahead and store in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the bread pudding the day before, then toss it in the oven to bake while your turkey rests.
- Potato bread can be used if potato rolls are not available.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 10; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 364, Fat, total (g): 20, chol. (mg): 152, sat. fat (g): 9, carb. (g): 29, Monounsaturated fat (g): 7, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 17, vit. A (IU): 1192, vit. C (mg): 4, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 95, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 540, Potassium (mg): 555, calcium (mg): 191, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.