- 1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese chili-garlic paste, or to taste, or chopped fresh chiles to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups lettuce, washed, dried and torn or chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, left whole or barely torn
- 1/4 cup fresh Thai (or other) basil leaves, left whole or barely torn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, left whole or barely torn
- 12 slices cooked pork
- Scallion Oil (optional, recipe follows)
Make It Dressing:
1. In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar, ginger and chili-garlic paste with about 1/4 cup water to produce a thin sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt and black pepper if necessary. Salad:
2. Divide the lettuce among 4 plates. Top each with a quarter of the noodles, carrots, herbs and shrimp or pork. Drizzle dressing over all, and, if you like, top with Scallion Oil. Makes 4 servings.
- 1/4 cup neutral oil, like corn or canola
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 - 3 scallions, trimmed and minced
1. Heat oil in a small pan until it is thin and fragrant; stir in salt and sugar. Put scallions in a small bowl and pour the oil over them; they should sizzle. Cool and use by the spoonful. Makes about 1/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 124, Fat, total (g): 1, chol. (mg): 32, sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 24, fiber (g): 2, pro. (g): 6, sodium (mg): 1375, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.