1. Open up roast; make 6-inch-long slit down center of roast. Deepen slit to form shallow pocket, to both ends. Place 1 shallot in end of pocket with fig on top. Repeat with remaining shallots and figs, filling up pocket. Roll up roast; tie at intervals with string. Rub roast with thyme.
2. Heat oil in flameproof roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add tied roast; brown on all sides.
3. Roast pork in preheated 375 degree F oven 1-1/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees F on instant-read meat thermometer. Remove roast to platter; keep warm.
4. Pour water into roasting pan, scraping up browned bits. Pour into saucepan. Skim off fat. Add brandy. Boil 2 minutes. Stir in jam, broth, salt and pepper. Simmer 3 minutes.
5. Remove string from pork roast. Slice roast and serve with gravy. Makes 12 servings.