Yield: 8 cups Prep 20 mins Cook 40 mins
- 1 pound (4 to 5 links) hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 cups chopped sweet green pepper (about 2 large peppers)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) plum tomatoes, in puree
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Crumble sausage into large 8-quart pot. Cook over high heat, stirring, until sausage is no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion, sweet green pepper and garlic; saute for 7 to 9 minutes or until the onion is softened.
2. Add tomatoes with puree, breaking apart the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, basil, black pepper and oregano; simmer for 25 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Let cool briefly before using in Manicotti and Cottage Casserole recipes. Makes 8 cups sauce.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 40, Fat, total (g): 2, chol. (mg): 6, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 4, fiber (g): 1, pro. (g): 2, sodium (mg): 250, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.