Servings: 6 Prep 10 mins Cook 25 mins
- 4 strips uncooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch escarole (about 1 pound), coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (19 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (19 ounces) white kidney beans (cannellini), undrained
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1. Cook bacon in large saucepan until lightly browned, for about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in escarole; cook just until escarole wilts. Add broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, garbanzo beans and pepper. Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until escarole is tender.
2. Meanwhile, place half the white kidney beans with liquid in small bowl. Mash beans with fork until smooth. Stir into simmering stew with remaining whole white kidney beans. Heat through. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 415, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 10, carb. (g): 64, pro. (g): 22, sodium (mg): 1328, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.