Servings: 6 Prep 30 mins Cook 30 mins Broil 3 mins
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 6 pumpernickel or plain hero rolls (about 6 inches long)
- 1 pound thinly sliced pastrami
- 6 slices (4 ounces) Swiss cheese
1. Heat oil in skillet. Add onion; saute over medium-low heat until tender, 8 minutes. Add sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Cover; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauerkraut is tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine ketchup, mayonnaise and relish in small bowl.
3. Split rolls; do not cut through. Place pastrami down center, dividing evenly. Top with sauerkraut, sauce, cheese. Wrap in foil. Leave top open.
4. Broil 8 inches from source of heat until heated through and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Serve. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 740, Fat, total (g): 33, chol. (mg): 70, carb. (g): 81, pro. (g): 27, sodium (mg): 2170, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.