Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Bake 375°F 25 mins to 30 mins Cook 20 mins
- 1 20 ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 pound dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 5 drops hot-pepper sauce
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ham steak (1/2 inch thick), cut in cubes
1. Cook vegetables and macaroni following package directions; drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter with the oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes longer until onion is translucent.
3. Stir in dry mustard, salt and flour; cook 1 minute. Increase heat to medium, add milk and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add hot-pepper sauce, cheese and ham. Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Stir drained vegetables and cooked elbow macaroni into cheese mixture.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 618, Fat, total (g): 27, chol. (mg): 97, sat. fat (g): 13, carb. (g): 63, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 33, sodium (mg): 1255, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.