Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 10 mins
- 1 cup natural wheat-and-barley cereal OR: oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour OR: rye flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Pork Sausage Patties;
- 1 1/2 pounds unseasoned ground pork
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon dried leaf sage
- Butter, for topping (optional)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
Make It Prepare Waffles:
1. Mix cereal and wheat germ in bowl. Beat butter, eggs and honey in second bowl. Add to cereal. Mix flours, baking soda and salt in third bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to cereal, stirring; batter will be very stiff.
2. Make waffles in waffle maker according to manufacturers directions. Make a total of 6 waffles; stack between sheets of waxed paper on baking sheet and keep warm in 225 degrees F oven. Patties:
3. Combine pork, salt, black and red pepper and sage in bowl. Shape into 12 patties. Saute in skillet until cooked, 5 minutes.
4. Serve waffles with butter if desired, syrup and sausages.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 757, Fat, total (g): 35, chol. (mg): 191, sat. fat (g): 17, carb. (g): 81, pro. (g): 31, sodium (mg): 932, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.