Servings: 8 Prep 20 mins Cook 55 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 cups fresh okra, thinly sliced OR: 1 package (10 ounces) frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups crushed fresh tomatoes, seeded OR: 1 can (16 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound kielbasa, sliced lengthwise and cut crosswise into half moons
- 1 1/2 cups fresh black-eyed peas OR: 1 package (10 ounces) frozen, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lima beans OR: 1 package (10 ounces) frozen, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 ears) OR: 1 package (10 ounces) frozen, thawed
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in 2-inch pieces
1. Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring with wooden spoon, for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, jalapeno, red pepper, okra, oregano, paprika and thyme; cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add vegetable broth, water, tomatoes and kielbasa. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add peas and lima beans; cook 15 minutes (3 minutes for frozen). Add corn and green beans; cook 10 minutes (5 minutes for frozen). Or cook until all vegetables are tender. For best flavor, cook gumbo a day ahead.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 182, Fat, total (g): 8, carb. (g): 22, pro. (g): 7, sodium (mg): 585, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.