The best pulled pork recipes call for low and slow cooking like this one. The low heat ensures moist meat while the lengthy cooking time allows the flavors to mellow.
1. Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add mustard, paprika, cumin and cayenne; cook 1 minute. Add ketchup, sugar, vinegar and water; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; simmer 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Heat oil in large ovenproof Dutch oven; add pork; brown, 10 minutes.
4. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven 30 minutes. Pour 1 cup of barbecue sauce over pork. Cover pot. Lower to 250 degrees F. Bake 3 to 3-1/2 hours, basting meat occasionally, until instant-read thermometer inserted in middle of roast registers 170 degrees F to 180 degrees F.
5. Let cool slightly. Trim off excess fat. Pull meat apart using two forks.
6. Mix pulled meat with rest of barbecue sauce in a large bowl. Serve on buns with Hearty Coleslaw on the side.