- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 green onions, white and green parts separated and chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (about 1-inch piece)
- 3 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple chunks (juice-pack)
- 3 - 4 pounds pork shoulder roast or bone-in country-style ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb. total), peeled and cubed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Hot cooked brown rice
1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker stir together the brown sugar, white part of green onions, orange peel, orange juice, mustard, cider vinegar, ginger, jerk seasoning and cumin. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add the juice to the slow cooker; stir to combine. Place pineapple in a small bowl; cover and chill until serving time.
2. Season pork with salt and pepper. Add oil to an extra-large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown on all sides.
3. Stir sweet potatoes into mixture in slow cooker. Place pork on top. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours. Remove pork from cooker to a platter; cover and keep warm. Stir beans into mixture in cooker. Let stand 10 minutes to heat through. Cut pork into serving-size pieces. Remove bean mixture with a slotted spoon. Serve pork and bean mixture over rice. Drizzle with cooking liquid, garnish with remaining green onions, and serve with chilled pineapple.
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 417, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 62, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 61, Monounsaturated fat (g): 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 7, sugar (g): 20, pro. (g): 26, vit. A (IU): 7969, vit. C (mg): 14, Thiamin (mg): 1, Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 6, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 24, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 759, Potassium (mg): 818, calcium (mg): 81, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.