Servings: 9 Prep 15 mins Cook 45 mins
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup warm beer
- Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
1. In a large deep pot, cook bacon over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring, until lightly browned. Add onion, celery and butter; saute until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken broth and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add milk; continue to simmer 15 minutes. Do not bring to a boil.
4. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer; if soup is too thick, add some warm milk.
5. Serve soup hot, garnished with scallions or chives.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 9; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 445, Fat, total (g): 33, chol. (mg): 87, sat. fat (g): 19, carb. (g): 20, fiber (g): 1, pro. (g): 18, sodium (mg): 773, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.