The popular summertime sandwich also makes a delicious salad. An avocado, buttermilk, and lime juice dressing adds a finishing touch to this recipe.
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; pour off drippings and reserve. Wipe out skillet.While cooking bacon, prepare dressing:
2. Place avocado, buttermilk, onion, lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt, black pepper and cayenne in a blender and puree until smooth; set aside.
3. Stir together cornmeal, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon each black pepper and cayenne in shallow dish; place flour and egg in separate shallow dishes.
4. Dip tomato slices in flour, then egg, then cornmeal mixture to coat.
5. Heat canola oil and 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon drippings in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry tomatoes in a single layer for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining tomatoes.
6. Place romaine lettuce in a large bowl and toss with bacon and 2/3 cup of the avocado dressing. Place about 2 cups salad on each plate and top with 2 to 3 fried tomato slices. Dollop with a little of the remaining dressing and serve.