Yield: 5 cups Prep 10 mins Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons black pepper*
- Salt, to taste
- Hot red pepper, to taste
1. Simmer ingredients in saucepan 20 minutes. Refrigerate up to 2 months.
Variation *Editor's Note:
Barbecued Pork Sandwiches:
- We preferred a range of 2 to 3 teaspoons black pepper.
- Rub 2-pound boneless pork shoulder with 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Wrap loosely in foil. Roast at 350 degrees F for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until very tender. Pull into shreds with forks. Spoon 1/2 cup in each of 8 burger buns. Top each with 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 376, Fat, total (g): 19, chol. (mg): 69, carb. (g): 28, pro. (g): 22, sodium (mg): 387, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.