Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Cook 40 mins
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pounds refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed, squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 pound smoked boneless pork chops*
- 1 can (13-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth plus water to make 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons gin (optional)
- 4 carrots, 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, seeded, cut into small chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cut potatoes into quarters. Place in medium-size saucepan. Cover with water. Boil 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until softened. Add sauerkraut, kielbasa, ham, smoked pork chops, chicken broth, gin if using, carrot, apple, bay leaves, caraway and pepper. Cover meat as much as possible with sauerkraut. Simmer, covered, stirring once or twice, until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Canadian bacon, in chunks, can be substituted for pork chops.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 283, Fat, total (g): 13, chol. (mg): 50, carb. (g): 21, pro. (g): 18, sodium (mg): 1153, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.