Servings: 8 Bake 500°F 7 mins to 10 mins
- 4 roasted red peppers, peeled and seeded (about 13 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped canned tomatoes in heavy puree
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded Fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 2 hot or sweet Italian sauages, boiled for 8 minutes, casings removed, coarsely chooped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound pasta shells
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Puree in a blender red peppers. You should have about 1 cup puree.
2. In a large bowl, combine the puree with canned tomatoes, heavy cream, Pecorino cheese, Fontina cheese, ricotta cheese, Italian sausages and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Bring to a boil in a large pot 5 quarts water and 2 tablespoons salt. Add to the boiling water and cook until just tender pasta shells. Drain the pasta, add to the ingredients in the bowl, and toss to combine.
4. Divide pasta mixture among 6 to 8 individual gratin dishes (1-1/2- to 2-cups capacity). Dot with 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter. Bake until bubbly and browned on top, 7 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 614, Fat, total (g): 38, chol. (mg): 126, sat. fat (g): 22, carb. (g): 52, pro. (g): 17, sodium (mg): 961, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.