Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Chill 1 hr or overnight Bake 350°F 50 mins Cook 13 mins
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 10 slices whole-wheat or white bread
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (about 1/2 pound)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 lettuce leaves, shredded
1. Saute onion in oil in medium-size skillet until softened, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread in dish. Add half the tomatoes and half the cheese. Repeat layering.
3. Lightly beat eggs in bowl. Add onion, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour into baking dish. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
4. Bake strata, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven 50 minutes until puffed and golden (knife inserted in center comes out clean). Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook bacon in skillet until crisp, 10 minutes. Drain bacon on paper toweling. Crumble bacon. Garnish strata with lettuce and bacon.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 438, Fat, total (g): 24, chol. (mg): 224, carb. (g): 32, pro. (g): 24, sodium (mg): 893, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.