Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Cook 5 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs to 8 hrs
- 2 pounds spare ribs
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup peeled and sliced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (such as Thai Kitchen)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 8 ounce box rice noodles (such as Annie Chun's)
- Lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sliced scallions, bean sprouts, fresh sliced Bird's-Eye or habanero chile peppers, and sriracha sauce (optional)
1. Place spare ribs, onion, ginger, garlic, coriander, cloves and star anise in bottom of slow cooker. Pour chicken broth on top. In a bowl, mix together 3 cups water, the fish sauce and brown sugar; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours
2. Remove spare ribs. Shred meat, discarding bones, tendons and fat. Cover and set aside. Carefully pour remaining slow cooker contents through a strainer over a lidded pot; skim. Stir in salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Add rice noodles and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until softened.
3. Ladle some of the broth and noodles into bowls. Top with shredded meat and, if desired, lime wedges, cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts, chile peppers and sriracha sauce.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 425, Fat, total (g): 22, chol. (mg): 85, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 32, fiber (g): 1, pro. (g): 24, sodium (mg): 1077, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.