Servings: 8 Prep 15 mins Slow Cook 10 hrs LOW Stand 10 mins Microwave 1 min
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (31/4 to 4 lbs), excess fat trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 2 pound bag refrigerated sauerkraut
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 12 ounce bottle full-bodied beer
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 14 ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Cooked spaetzle (optional)
1. Coat slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Season pork with salt and pepper. If desired, brown in a skillet on all sides, about 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
2. Add onion, sauerkraut and apple. Blend beer, brown sugar, vinegar and caraway seeds. Pour over pork. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours. Remove pork; let rest 10 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a platter with a slotted spoon. Strain liquid into a bowl and skim excess fat.
3. Microwave cranberry sauce in a glass bowl 1 minute. Slice pork and serve over sauerkraut, drizzling with some of the cooking liquid. Top with cranberry sauce. Serve with spaetzle, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 367, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): 102, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 31, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 34, sodium (mg): 868, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.