Servings: 9 Prep 25 mins Slow Cook 7 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 3 1/2 to 4 hours (high)
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large red sweet pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 12 ounce package frozen sweet soybeans (edamame)
- 1 3 ounce package ramen noodles, broken
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
1. Trim fat from roast. Cut roast into 1-inch pieces. In a large skillet brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to a 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker. Stir in broth, water chestnuts, sweet pepper, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, crushed red pepper, and garlic.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Skim off fat. Stir in edamame and ramen noodles (reserve seasoning packet for another use). Cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Top each serving with sliced green onions.
- If desired, replace ramen with 6 ounces fresh noodles and add a poached egg to the soup.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 9; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 275, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 65, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 14, Monounsaturated fat (g): 4, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 3, pro. (g): 27, vit. A (IU): 583, vit. C (mg): 27, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 12, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 473, Potassium (mg): 396, calcium (mg): 61, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.