Servings: 8 Prep 25 mins Cook 33 mins
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef, pork and veal mix (meatloaf mix)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (such as Cento)
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 pound mezzi rigatoni, cooked
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, pork and veal mix; egg; bread crumbs; grated onion; the 1/4 cup grated cheese; 1/2 tsp of the salt and the pepper. Form into 56 mini meatballs (polpettine), about 2 tsp each.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, lidded skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and half the mint; reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Place polpettine in sauce. Cover and simmer 6 minutes. Gently flip meatballs and cook another 6 minutes, covered. Stir in remaining mint and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
4. Serve polpettine and sauce over mezzi rigatoni. Garnish with cheese and mint, if desired.
Tip Five Steps to Perfectly Cooked Pasta
- 1. Bring a large, lidded pot of water to a boil. 2. Salt water. 3. Add pasta, stir and return lid to pot. 4. Return to a boil and remove lid. Cooking time (per instructions) begins now. 5. Drain pasta or transfer with a slotted spoon or tongs directly to sauce.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 478, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 81, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 60, fiber (g): 6, pro. (g): 27, sodium (mg): 418, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.