Don't give away the surprise until you cut the first wedge of this holiday pie and reveal the creamy cheesecake tucked under the pumpkin layer.
1. Heat oven to 400 F. Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate and crimp edges. Refrigerate until ready to fill. Unroll second crust. Using a 1-inch star cookie cutter, cut out 50 stars; place on baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use.Cream cheese layer:
2. In a medium-size bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and egg until smooth. Spread evenly into bottom of piecrust.Pumpkin layer:
3. In a large bowl, beat pumpkin puree, milk, brown sugar, eggs, pie spice and salt until smooth. Using a ladle, gently spoon pumpkin mixture over cream cheese mixture.
4. Brush edge of pie with egg-water wash. Overlap pastry stars around edge. Brush stars lightly with egg-water mix. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Cover edges with foil, reduce heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
5. Cool pie completely on rack. Refrigerate until completely chilled. Before slicing, leave out for 30 minutes.