Celebrate the splendor of fall fruit by baking apples and pears into this double-crust pie.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate and refrigerate until ready to fill.
2. In a large bowl, gently mix together apples, pears, cherries, 2/3 cup of the sugar, the almonds, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour into prepared piecrust.
3. Roll out second piecrust and cut out 6 evenly spaced circles or other desired shape with a 1-inch cookie cutter, reserving cut-outs.
4. Place piecrust over filling and pinch top and bottom edges together. Brush lightly with egg wash and place cut-outs randomly over crust. Brush cut-outs with egg wash. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over pie.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Cover edges with aluminum foil and reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake for an additional 35 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbly. Cool pie completely on wire rack.