Whole wheat berries give this pie recipe a sweet,nut-like flavor and slightly chewy texture. Cherries, ricotta cheese, cinnamon, orange, and lemon zest round out the filling of this make-ahead dessert.
1. Bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add wheat berries and boil for about 45 minutes or until wheat is tender and most of water is absorbed. Stir occasionally. Drain.
2. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in cherries, ricotta cheese, vanilla, cinnamon and orange and lemon zest.
4. Mix together 1 cup of the cooked wheat and the shortening until shortening melts. Stir into ricotta mixture; add salt.
5. Line two 9-inch pie plates with two single pie crusts. Cut remaining two pie crusts into 1-inch strips.
6. Spoon half of the pie filling into each pie plate. Arrange pastry strips on top of each pie in lattice fashion.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden-brown and filling is set. If edges become too dark during baking, cover them with aluminum foil.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate overnight.