1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare pie crust mix for two-crust pie for a 9-inch pie plate, following package directions. Line pie plate with bottom crust. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the tapioca over crust.
3. Combine apples, cranberries, 1 cup sugar, pecans and remaining 2 tablespoons tapioca in a bowl. Spoon apple mixture into pie shell; dot filling with butter. Cover filling with top crust; seal edges together; form stand-up edge; flute the edge. Cut slits in top crust; sprinkle the crust with 1 teaspoon sugar.
4. Place pie in oven with sheet of foil underneath to catch drips.
5. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 1 hour 15 minutes until crust is browned and apples are tender. If crust begins to brown, cover loosely with foil. Serve warm or at room temperature.