Makes: 12 servings at 33o each. Prep: 1 hour. Bake: at 425 degrees for 15 minutes; then at 400 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
1. Simmer cranberries, juice, rind and 3 tablespoons sugar in saucepan 12 minutes, until consistency of cranberry sauce. Let cool.
2. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. On floured surface, roll half of pastry into 13-inch circle; pinch together any cracks around edges. Roll crust onto rolling pin; transfer to 9-inch pie plate. Smooth pastry over bottom and up sides of plate. Trim crust so it covers lip of plate.
4. Peel apples. Core; cut each apple into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Combine apple slices, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cloves in large bowl. Add cooled cranberry mixture and egg yolk; stir well to mix. Scrape into pie plate; spread apples, mounding high in center; do not compact them.
5. On floured surface, roll out remaining half of pastry to 13-inch circle. Drape over pie. Trim dough, leaving 3/4-inch overhang. Fold top crust under bottom crust; press to seal. Flute edge. Cut 10 vents in top. Brush crust with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Place on baking sheet.
6. Bake in 425 degrees F oven 15 minutes. Reduce to 400 degrees F. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown. Remove to rack; cool at least 40 minutes.
1. Whisk together flour, salt and cinnamon in medium-size bowl.
2. Using medium-size bowl and pastry blender or 2 knives, or in food processor with pulsing action, cut shortening into flour mixture until consistency of small peas. Cut in butter. Add water, a little at a time, tossing with a fork, until dough is moistened and holds together when pinched.
3. Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap; gently press into a ball. Cut ball in half; flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.