Bake these crumb-topped dessert bars during the first few weeks of summer when fresh Bing cherries are available.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Coat 8 x 8 x 2-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Beat together butter and sugar in medium-size bowl until creamy. Stir in egg and vanilla.
4. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture to make dough.
5. Pat dough into even layer over bottom of prepared baking dish.Topping:
6. In the same bowl mix flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, fork or fingertips, work in butter until mixture holds together.
7. Spoon cherries into baking dish. Sprinkle streusel over the top.
8. Bake in 350 degrees F oven for 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Cut into rectangles. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled, with whipped topping, if desired.