1. Position shelf in bottom third of oven. Heat to 425 degrees F.
2. Line 9-inch pie pan with single crust. Cut out leaf shapes from other crust. Line pie shell with foil; fill with dried beans or rice. Place on baking sheet with leaf cutouts.
3. Bake in 425 degrees F oven 8 to 10 minutes, until light brown. Remove foil with beans; remove leaves to rack to cool. Return pie shell to oven. Bake until bottom sets, pricking with fork any places that bubble up, about 5 minutes. Remove to rack to cool. Leave oven on at 425 degrees F.
4. In saucepan, heat milk until small bubbles appear around edge of pan. Remove from heat.Make caramel:
5. Place granulated sugar in heavy 3-quart saucepan. Place over medium heat, without stirring, until sugar begins to melt. Tilt pan all around to continue melting, until medium brown, 1 to 2 minutes total. Remove from heat. Carefully add hot milk all at once; mixture will bubble up, then subside. Stir in cream, brown sugar and honey; stir to dissolve sugar. If clumps do not dissolve, simmer briefly, stirring, 2 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
6. Place pumpkin puree in large bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt; stir to blend. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in caramel and vanilla. Turn filling into pie shell.
7. Bake on baking sheet in 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Continue to bake about 45 minutes or until center is set. Turn oven off. Leave pie in oven with door partially open. Let cool completely. Garnish top with pastry leaves. Serve with whipped cream if you wish.