Looking for a pumpkin pie recipe that stands above the rest? This three-layer holiday dessert features a rich brown sugar-rum custard, a light and airy pumpkin chiffon, and a whipped cream topping.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly prick thawed piecrust all over with fork.
2. Bake crust in 400 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove pie shell from oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
3. Mix together eggs and dark-brown sugar in medium-size bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add corn syrup, melted butter, rum and vanilla; beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour into the pie shell.
4. Bake in 325 degrees F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the center is just set. Let cool on wire rack.Chiffon:
5. Place 1/4 cup cool water in glass measuring cup. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top of the water. Let stand for 5 minutes for gelatin to soften. Microwave on high power for 15 seconds; stir to completely dissolve gelatin.
6. Combine pumpkin puree, light brown sugar, egg yolks, orange rind, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium-size bowl; beat on medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Scrape the pumpkin mixture into a medium-size saucepan. Heat over medium heat just until the mixture begins to steam and registers 140 degrees F on instant-read thermometer. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the gelatin mixture and vanilla. Transfer to large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
8. In a clean medium-size bowl, beat the pasteurized egg whites with clean, dry beaters on medium-high speed until foamy. Continue to beat, gradually adding the granulated sugar; beat until stiff but shiny peaks form.
9. Beat the heavy cream in a clean, medium-size chilled bowl on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Fold into the beaten egg whites. Fold half of the beaten egg white mixture into the cooled pumpkin mixture.
10. Spoon the lightened pumpkin mixture into filled pie shell; level the top with a rubber spatula. Spoon the remaining whipped cream mixture over the top; smooth with spatula. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.