1. Heat oven to 425 degrees degrees F. Combine sour cream, sugar, cranberries and rind.
2. Core apples, making a hole with 1-1/4-inch diameter. Do not cut through bottom; do not peel.
3. Divide pastry into 6 equal pieces. On a well-floured board, roll out one piece into 9-inch square. Lightly brush dough with water. Set apple in center of dough. Fill with sour cream mixture.
4. Gather up corners of pastry and bring together at top, forming decorative twist; cut off excess pastry and reserve. Press pastry to smoothly encase apple. Pinch each of the 4 flaps of excess dough to seal. Trim to 1/2-inch width, following curve of apple; reserve excess pastry. Press seams against apple. Refrigerate while wrapping remaining apples.
5. Brush a dumpling with milk. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Set on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dumplings. Place 2 inches apart on sheet. Prick dough in several places with fork, not piercing apple skin.
6. If desired, roll out excess dough. Cut out decorative leaves. Attach to dumplings with water.
7. Bake in 425 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.
1. Stir together all-purpose flour and salt in medium-size bowl. Cut in unsalted butter, and shortening, with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at time, over mixture, tossing lightly with fork after each addition until pastry is just moist enough to hold together.