- 4 medium sweet peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange peppers cut side up in a 3-qt. baking dish.
2. In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Add beef. Cook until no pink remains, stirring to break up meat as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl; discard fat from pan.
3. In the same skillet, heat remaining 2 tsp. oil. Add onions. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and oregano. Cook 30 seconds. Add broth. Cook and stir until nearly evaporated. Stir in the cooked beef, tomatoes, raisins, and olives. Simmer 3 minutes.
4. Spoon filling into pepper halves; pour 1/2 cup water into bottom of baking dish. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake until peppers are tender, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 415, Fat, total (g): 26, chol. (mg): 78, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 24, Monounsaturated fat (g): 13, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): 1, fiber (g): 5, sugar (g): 12, pro. (g): 23, vit. A (IU): 3752, vit. C (mg): 160, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 7, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 74, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 2, sodium (mg): 550, Potassium (mg): 884, calcium (mg): 83, iron (mg): 4, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.