Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Cook 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices seedless rye
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced reduced-fat American cheese (such as Alpine Lace), about 8 slices
- 1/4 cup light Thousand Island salad dressing
1. Heat butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, oregano and pepper in a medium bowl. Shape into 4 patties, trying to mimic the shape of the rye bread.
3. Heat a panini press or a George Foreman grill to medium hot. Grill beef patties for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
4. Place 4 slices of rye on a cutting board. Top each with 1 slice of cheese, a beef patty, 1/2 cup onions, 1 slice of cheese and another slice of bread. Grill 2 sandwiches for 3 minutes, then repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches. Serve with salad dressing on the side.
- You can substitute ground turkey, chicken or even meatloaf mix for the ground beef in these recipes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 523, Fat, total (g): 26, chol. (mg): 104, sat. fat (g): 13, carb. (g): 39, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 36, sodium (mg): 931, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.