- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces dried multigrain elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz.)
- 2 slices rye bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beef, onion, 1/4 tsp. salt, and the pepper. Cook, stirring to break up the beef, about 5 minutes or until browned.
3. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain.
4. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Add the milk all at once and whisk until combined. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the cheddar cheese and stir until smooth. Stir in the macaroni.
5. Spread half of the macaroni mixture in a 2-quart square baking dish. Top with all of the beef mixture, then the Swiss cheese. Spread the remaining macaroni mixture over the Swiss. Sprinkle evenly with the bread cubes. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 403, Fat, total (g): 19, chol. (mg): 76, sat. fat (g): 10, carb. (g): 30, Monounsaturated fat (g): 6, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): 1, fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 5, pro. (g): 27, vit. A (IU): 471, vit. C (mg): 2, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 106, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 2, sodium (mg): 324, Potassium (mg): 335, calcium (mg): 310, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.