1. Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water until tender but still firm, 9 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
2. While pasta is cooking, place bacon in a medium-size nonstick skillet. Cook until slightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
3. Whisk together cream and egg yolks in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until temperature reaches 140 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 6 to 7 minutes, and maintains 140 degrees F for at least 3 minutes. Stir in basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Add bacon and drippings to cooked pasta. Stir in cream and egg mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
5. Spoon pasta into a large serving bowl and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.