Servings: 6 Prep 10 mins Cook 7 mins to 9 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 9 ounce packages cheese-filled or other filled fresh tortellini
- 1 1/2 package frozen small onions (no need to thaw)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 7 ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and patted dry (2 cups)
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons sundried-flavored or plain tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid hot-pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup pitted Nioise olives
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bring 6 quarts water and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling in large saucepot over high heat. Gradually add tortellini and onions. Reduce heat to medium-high; boil gently 7 to 9 minutes or until tortellini is firm but tender and onions are crisp-tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook until lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to food processor along with red peppers, tomato juice, tomato paste, vinegar, hot-pepper sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whirl until peppers are pureed.
3. Drain pasta and onions; turn into large bowl. Pour sauce over top; add olives and parsley; toss. Serve with Parmesan if desired. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 429, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 47, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 56, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 15, sodium (mg): 1121, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.